Sunday, January 20, 2008

Starting Up

I decided to start up a blog after seeing one from a fellow American in Salamanca.  I figured, this will be a good way to possibly meet other Americans living in Salamanca.  Perhaps if they come across my blog they will contact me to meet up for a caña or café.
I am fairly new to Salamanca.  I moved here from upstate NY about 15 months ago.  I married my soul mate - a Spanish man I had met here almost 30 years ago when I studied abroad my junior year of college - and moved to his country so he could remain close to his son. 
It is not that the Spanish culture is new to me, nor is there the problem of the language, as I speak Spanish, but there is a definite difference in living here temporarily in your 20's as a student and living here in your 40's as a permanent resident. 
When I was first here all those years ago I shied away from Americans so as to make my experience as advantageous as possible.  But now I find that I am searching out my fellow Americans (and other foreigners as well) so that I have someone with whom I can share my experiences and who will understand completely what it is like to live in an "adopted" country.
So if you are so inclined check back occasionally as I will continue to write my blog and update my every day, mundane life (yes, I may live in a foreign country but my daily life is no different than it was in the USA: housekeeping, food shopping, cooking, working).  Yes things are different but they are also very much the same, it is just the scenery that has changed!  Oh and yes, now being married has been the biggest change!  But that is another posting!

No comments: